As an attempt to revive the economy which was hit hard during the pandemic and to ensure employment which many people lost, the Government of Karnataka allowed all shops and other commercial establishments in the state employing 10 or more people to remain open for 24 hours all days of the year for the next three years.
The circular released by the government had certain guidelines.
- All employers shall not require or allow any person employed to work for more than eight hours in any day and forty-eight hours in any week.
- The period of work including overtime shall not exceed ten hours in any day.
- If an employee is made to work beyond eight hours in a day, she will have to be paid an overtime allowance.
- All employees are entitled to at least one week-off.
- Women employees shall not be allowed to work beyond 8.00 PM on any day in normal circumstances.
- If provided with a consent letter from the woman employee, the employer may allow her to work between 8.00 PM and 6 AM.
- The employers or managers who are found violating its directives regarding shift timings will face action.
This new system will be applicable for the next three years.