The Indian government has made it mandatory for taxpayers to link their Aadhaar card with their PAN card to file their income tax returns. The Income Tax Department of India has released a guide on their e-filing portal that provides step-by-step instructions on how to link Aadhaar with PAN. Here is a detailed content of the guide:
- Visit the official e-filing website of the Income Tax Department of India at www.incometax.gov.in
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option under the “Quick Links” section on the left-hand side of the homepage.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the required fields.
- Enter your name exactly as mentioned in your Aadhaar card. Note that the name mentioned in Aadhaar should match with the name mentioned in PAN.
- If the name mentioned in Aadhaar is only a partial match, select the checkbox next to “I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card” option.
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
- An OTP (One Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile number or email ID linked with Aadhaar.
- Enter the OTP on the website to complete the linking process.
- After successful linking, a confirmation message will be displayed on the screen.
It is important to note that the name and date of birth mentioned in Aadhaar must match with the details mentioned in PAN to link the two documents. If there is any discrepancy in the details, the linking process may not be successful.
Taxpayers can also link their Aadhaar with PAN through SMS by sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161 in the following format: UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN>.