The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) announced on Monday, December 27, that 5G services will be accessible in many cities and metros across the country in 2022. The Department of Telecommunications mentioned in a statement that Airtel, Vodafone Idea, and Jio have set up 5G testing stations in numerous locations. 5G technology will bring 10 times faster download speeds and up to three times more spectrum efficiency than 4G.
As per the release, the indigenous 5G Test Bed project, which is being supported by the Department of Telecommunications, has entered its final stages and will be finished by December 31, 2021. The program will provide an open 5G testbed for Indian academics and businesses to evaluate goods, prototypes, and algorithms, as well as demonstrate the range of services.
All you need to know
- 5G services will roll out first in Gurugram, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Delhi, Jamnagar, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Hyderabad, Lucknow, Pune, and Gandhi Nagar.
- These are the locations where telecom operators have established 5G trial sites.
- 5G spectrum auctions have to be held as well.
- All three major private telecom companies have been conducting trials.
- Reliance Jio is using its technology as well for the 5G trials.
- All the private players are providing 4G services across the country at present and are gearing up for 5G services.
- The DoT stated that the indigenous 5G testbed project funded by it has reached the final stages.
- At a cost of about Rs 224 crore, the project is likely to be completed by December 31, 2021, paving the way for end-to-end testing of 5G user equipment (UEs) and network equipment by 5G stakeholders developing 5G products, services, and use cases, including indigenous start-ups, SMEs, academia, and industry in the country